Feel that breeze in your Canton, OH, home? Your air handler is making it happen.
Air handlers play a key role in both ducted and ductless heating and cooling systems. If you have a heat pump, it heats or chills the air. Then, the air handler uses fans to circulate it throughout your ductwork.
This combination helps you save big on utilities. Heat pumps are up to 50 percent more efficient than electric resistance heating units like furnaces and baseboard heaters, according to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Air handlers are also an integral part of ductless mini splits. The indoor air handling units circulate warm and cool air into your living space. No ducts are required, making it the perfect solution for upgrading an older home that doesn’t have ductwork.
Need a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) installation, repair, or maintenance in Ohio? The K Company can help. Located conveniently in the Canton, OH, area, our experts are ready to assist with all your home service needs.
How Does an Air Handler Operate?
Air handlers keep the air moving in your home. They contain four main components:
- Blowers look like metal tubes. They are a type of fan, powered by motors, that pushes air through your ducts.
- Evaporator coils, often made of copper, wind around a three-sided concave metal piece of equipment located inside your air handler. They circulate liquid refrigerant, which moves heat and humidity.
- Sound attenuators eliminate much of the noise from the airflow traveling through your ducts. They attach to your ductwork and absorb the sound—usually with acoustical insulation.
- The air filter catches dust and other particles that circulate through the air in your home. Doing so improves the indoor air quality (IAQ). It eliminates airborne allergens like dander and pollen. Additionally, it keeps your HVAC equipment clean.
As your heat pump begins its cycle, it produces warm or cool air. Next, the blowers start to spin, circulating the treated air throughout your household. This process helps your home reach the temperature you set on your thermostat.
The ventilation boosts your IAQ—constant airflow keeps things dry and discourages mold growth. This is a major plus when it gets humid here in Canton, OH. Additionally, it keeps your home allergy friendly by filtering out respiratory irritants.
Do I Need an Air Handler for My HVAC System?
You'll need an air handler if you’re getting a heat pump or ductless system for your home or business.
However, if you have a furnace or radiant heat system like a boiler, air handlers are not necessary. Radiant heat systems do not require forced air. Furnaces are forced-air units—but they contain blowers and can ventilate independently.
What Is a Dual-Fuel System?
Teamwork helps things get done better—especially in the realm of HVAC. When a furnace and heat pump team up, the pair is known as a dual-fuel system.
This combination helps homeowners achieve maximum comfort in cooler climates while lowering energy costs. You can use your heat pump to stay warm on a cool day. Then, when temperatures dip below freezing, your furnace takes over.
By sharing the load, your furnace and heat pump help you realize significant savings in the long term.
Air Handler Installation and Replacement
Need professional HVAC installers? The K Company has a team of experts ready to assist with your air handler installation or replacement. We see it as a collaboration—we’ll work with you to ensure you’re 100 percent satisfied with the final product.
Here’s how it works:
- We perform a free in-home consultation to find the right sized product for your home needs.
- We provide an up-front estimate and installation timeline.
- We install your air handler, ensure it’s operating in prime condition and provide you with a maintenance schedule. If you’re unsatisfied with the installation, give us a call and we’ll correct the issue immediately—we guarantee all our services.
We also have flexible financing plans to meet your budget—get in touch with us today to learn more.
Air Handler Repairs
HVAC interruptions are never fun. Fortunately, The K Company can get your air handler back up and running in no time!
Don’t wait—give us a call ASAP if your air handler is acting up. We offer 24/7 emergency service to be there when you need us.
Common issues with air handlers include:
- Patchy heating, cooling, or ventilation
- Short cycles
- Irregular noises or smells from your vents
Air Handler Maintenance
Want to make your air handler last longer while keeping your utilities low? Make seasonal check-ups a priority. Preventative maintenance increases your HVAC equipment’s life span. It also cuts down on energy costs and reduces the likelihood that you’ll need a repair.
Need help making a maintenance schedule? Our maintenance plan was designed with you in mind—you’ll receive appointment reminders, priority service, discounts, and more.
Call Your Local HVAC Experts Today
The K Company is proud to do business with our neighbors in Canton, OH, and its surrounding communities. Give us a call today at (330) 773-5125 or request service online.